What did we do?
The art study showed that there was no tool available that created user ranking, segmented by type of content and their behavior on social networks.
This way, together with the agency and the brand, we designed a process with more than ten different tools to be able to process all the information from the official social network accounts of the Colombian Soccer Team and the official sponsor of the Águila team. These accounts had nearly 12 million followers on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Our Big Data team processed the posts from January 1, 2014 to March 31, 2019 for Facebook and Instagram; and from January 1, 2016 to March 31, 2019 for Twitter.
This activity was carried out, using more than ten different tools to extract and process the data:
- Native social network APIs, whose connections provided relevant data and insights about the different posts.
- Listening applications in social networks to comprehensively understand user behavior in these social networks and in the soccer theme.
- Processing of flat files, allowing us to extract -one by one- the detail of each post, with regards to comments (keyword analysis), interactions, and threads of conversations between users.
Processing was performed using two engineering and data processing teams; one located in Colombia; and another in Ukraine, specializing in Instagram data management.
Monitoring and Listening
The first step, once the information had been processed, was to analyze the behavioral characteristics in social networks for the six chosen accounts. This allowed us to understand two things:
On the one hand, we found what the keywords of support for the Colombian National Team (fifteen keywords) were. These terms were very important to search for the users who used them the most in their comments, thus supporting the tricolor (Colombia’s National Soccer team).
This way, the findings were useful to design the algorithm for choosing the winners.
We custom designed an algorithm to give a certain weight to each of the actions of social network users who interacted on these networks.
- 100 points for being a follower of the Águila account
- 20 points for being a follower of the Colombia National Team account
- 2 points for each comment
- 5 points for using any of the fifteen keywords to support the National Team
- 0 to 5 points for each interaction (like, laugh, sad, angry, wow and love)
- 2 points for each comment received
- 1 point for each like received
The processing of the algorithm took more than four (4) days on a high-performance server, monitoring and auditing the quality of the information. Based on this, the winners of each of the Águila networks were obtained:
“Under the concept of believers, and through the development of the latest technology, we managed to create a tool that is capable of recognizing the fans of yesterday, today and forever in order for them to experience the Copa América final, where we hope, they will be able to see the National team lift the cup”, said Miguel Merino, director of Cerveza Águila.